Can we export/import Users, Groups, Publication Targets and Target Types using Content Porter ? I believe yes but Just curious !
You can export Group but not their permission settings (on organizational items). SDL Docs lists the following non-exportable items:
- Font definitions
- Protocol Schemas in publishing
- Schemas in publishing (I'm not sure what this means, actually)
- Target types in publishing
- Publication Targets in publishing
- Page and Component publishing status
- Security settings for Users and Groups
- Permissions for Publications, Folders, and Structure Groups
- Checked-in and checked-out status for Components, Template Building Blocks, Component Templates, Page Templates, Pages, and Schemas
- History list for Components, Template Building Blocks, Component Templates, Page Templates, and Pages
- Approval Status of individual items
SDL Web 8's Topology Manager addresses some of these by moving publication target-specific information out of the Content Manager (and Content Delivery) and into a environment-specific Topology.
Some of the other restrictions come from the fact users might be different and that you might have different authorization requirements between environments.
The DTAP-It solution allows you to export/import Groups. the source code can be adapted to do Users and Publish Targets/Target Types.