- We have DXA1.2 (.Net) web application with Tridion 2013 SP1 HR1. Facing an issue in playing “video” (.MP4) file ONLY in “Safari” browser.
- This issue has been tested with DXA 1.2 release code (without any customizations) (with Example Site publication and default “Download” CT and rest of the default items without any custom changes to confirm the issue).
- Issue is: “.mp4” file is not playing in “safari” browser. Tested loading “.mp4” in “.htm’ file as well as accessing “.mp4” directly in browser, both gives the same result.
- However, “.mp4” is playing well in “IE” and “Chrome” browser. (haven’t get a chance to test this in Mozilla though). I understand that “IE” and “Chrome” are treating video's request/response differently than “safari”. IE/Chrome sends the request and get the response and plays in the browser all these happens in a single request (status code I seen in the browser network tab is “200”). Whereas “safari” sends out the multiple request to the server to get the (Partial Content) (expecting with “206” Status).
- So, looks like DXA web application not able to handle this properly as “safari” likes. DXA 1.2 always responds with the status code 200 ONLY not 206.
- To confirm this is an “IIS” or “Website” configuration/settings issue, I have tested the same “.mp4” file with “legacy” site as well as “MVC” website in the same IIS with same configuration and settings, both sites (legacy ASPX and MVC) are responding well for the partial content request with response code as “206” for “Safari”.
Anybody faced this issue in DXA1.2 or any other later version (.Net or Java). Also, we could not find any open issues in DXA GitHub as well regarding this. Any suggestion/feedback would be highly appreciated.
PS: we were checking the status code/request/response in developer tools of the browser.
I have installed the clean DXA 1.2 delivery side .Net application without any customization. Also, from CM side, i have setup the example site and published the .MP4 file.
.MP4 file playing well in Chrome but not in Safari.
Seems DXA not handling the partial response (206) as safari expects. At the same server, when i deploy the normal MVC application it does.
Thanks in Advance!