We have a pure Tridion installation, without Translation Manager.I found quite frustrating and hard maintaining multiple language sites through its normal GUI. Searching for content components and localizing them, extracting textual content to provide to translation companies(eighter manual translation or machine) and then reformatting the content of components, publishing them, etc. Is not a user freindly way to do this.how others are doing this? Which tools are used or built to optimize these steps and automatize these processes?
We have built core of an application which could actually be an alternative to Translation Manager. All this running on client side as a simple application with an OS friendly GUI interface. Functionalities covering or planning to cover in our tool:
- Login/authorization to Tridion
- selecting a page in a publication and by hitting a button in our client tool, all the necessary content components are being extracted from Tridion - This will be the source of the translation
- Extracted content component XHTML/XML data can be saved easily to a local or network folder into filex
- Content components in the destination publication will be automatically localized
- Extracted XHTML will be sent for tranlsation
- After we get back the translated XHTML files we import them back to Tridion - it will automatically update the previousily localized components in the destination publication
- Will be able to publish all the necessary components, page component, etc. - by hitting a button after import of translated content is done
All this is solved on client side, thinking about and planning additional functionalities, optimizations of the above process. Also thinking about attaching it to a simple database, but depends what we may need.
Just trying to build something as a cheaper and more simple alternative to Translation Manager. Anyone else with similar goals, or is there something similar "tool" available already?
We didn't change anything on Tridion server, we are planning to achieve this only by running a client side application and doing bulk of actions according to our needs via its GUI.