I'm currently facing a problem that I cannot properly identify, so I will give the lengthy version in the hope that I could have missed some details.
I'm performing a content migration from Tridion R5.2 to Tridion 2011 with a 3rd party tool. To simplify, it involves scanning every items in the old system and creating them in the new one.
I'm constrained in the tooling that I can use, so I have to interact with the Business Connector (more precisely a webservice, located at
http://<url>/Library/Commands/WebGUIResponder.asp in R5 and
http://<url>/BCListener/BusinessConnectorService.asmx in 2011, to which I send SOAP requests).
The tool I use has 3 runtime options when perform the scan: commandline mode, which sends a lot of requests per seconds (by running 10 scripts in parallel), debug mode, which runs one script only, and design mode, in which I can execute the script line by line.
I'm not going to enter in too much details about how I found this problem, but here is the sequence of actions/results that I cannot explain:
- I ran an initial scan in commandline.
- I realized that ~50000 items are missing from my initial scan.
- All those components are in
somePublication/someFolders/folder, which itself contains ~2500 subfolders, each containing ~20 items.
- I thought the script had a glitch (it can happen), so I ran in commandline a scan of
folderonly... but still none of those items were found
- I decide to run the script in debug mode: the ~2500 subfolders are suddenly found...
- I run in command line mode the scan of those 2500 subfolders, and finally, all 50000 items are found... Except 700.
- I decide to modify the script and ask the content of those 700 tcmids only, in debug mode
- It runs perfectly, except for ~50 of them, and the returned error is (by memory) "No component with this Id exists"
- I inspect one of the IDs in design mode, and sure enough the content is returned.
- So I ran some more scans in debug mode, on the tcmids for which I didn't get the content after each run, with this (approximate) number of errors for every consecutive run: 25, 10, 5, 3, 3, 2, 2, 0 (i.e. I got the content of 25 items on the first run, then 15, 5, 2, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2).
Basically, it seems that when I ask for the content of an item, tridion will either give it to me, either say that the item does not exist. Completely randomly.
What I'm looking for here is some hints as why this behavior.