We performed an upgrade from SDL Tridion 2011 SP1 HR#2 to SDL Tridion 2013 SP1. Please refer to Failed upgrade from SDL Tridion 2011 SP1 HR2 to Tridion 2013 SP1 for details regarding the upgrade. This was a test upgrade on our development environment.
This weekend we tried performing the same upgrade on the production environment following the below steps:
- Apply 220.127.116.11 patch to CMS DB
- Uninstall Oracle 11g Client (both 32 bit and 64 bit) from CMS server
- Install .Net Framework (4.5.1) on CMS server
- Install Oracle 12c Client (64 bit only) on CMS server
- Upgrade the Tridion databases using Powershell scripts provided by SDL Tridion
- Run the SDL Tridion 2013 SP1 CM installer
- Restart Server
After the restart we started getting the following error in the CMS GUI:
Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess, Version=18.104.22.168, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Following this error we reinstalled the 64 bit Oracle 12c client on the CMS server as mentioned in the other link I mentioned above. But we were still getting the same error. We also installed 64bit version of 12c ODAC but to no avail. Then we also tried installing the 32 bit version of Oracle Client and ODAC (based on http://sdltridionworld.com/articles/sdltridion2011/tutorials/tridion-2011-oracle-11g-3.aspx).
After installing the 32 bit client we started getting the below error:
The type initializer for 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnectionStringBuilder' threw an exception. The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client
Then we uninstalled all Oracle client and ODAC components from the CMS box and reinstalled the 64 bit client. But the error persisted.
After comparing this with the development setup we noticed that the development environment still has Oracle 11g client (both 32 & 64 bit versions) installed. My question is:
- Does SDL Tridion 2013 SP1 need Oracle 11g client also if I have Oracle 12c client installed?
- Does SDL Tridion 2013 SP1 need both 32 and 64 versions of Oracle client?
- Does SDL Tridion 2013 SP1 need ODAC if the Oracle client is installed and ODP.NET was selected during the client install?