Anyone know of any issues with directly querying the Tridion CM database? I have used both direct queries and the core service. I like direct queries better because it seems to be faster and much easier to get what I want. The queries are select only.
Reasons to use Core Service over SQL queries
- You do not need access to the database server to run Core Service. Often an issue in production environments.
- Data manipulation - Depending on your requirements it is easy to manipulate/format data as you wish using C#, whether it be save as Excel or Email to a group.
- Core Service, if built into web application, can be exposed as a custom page making it very easy to be re-used by others within the organization
- Future proofing, as per Raj
- Understanding the database model, as per Raj
Direct queries are not future proof, In future upgrade your queries might not work, extra effort will go to resolve those. using Select queries You have to understand the DB structure, if you are fine and getting expected results with it, logically i don't see any issue using that. But Core service is SDL recommended approach for all. Never, ever run update queries.