To create a SmartTarget region we need to:
- Configure them in smarttarget_conf.xml.
- Template the
tcdltag as seen in the documentation, which recommends placing this in a
<tcdl:region id="sidebar" type="SmartTarget"> <br>Fallback content goes here.</br> <br> <tcdl:ComponentPresentation type="Dynamic" componentURI="tcm:6-1072" templateURI="tcm:6-66-32"></tcdl:ComponentPresentation></br> </tcdl:region>
I want authors to control the text within the
tcdl:region tag as well as the Component and Template selection. The use case might be:
- Author selects a "ST Region" Component that possibly adds a (translatable) heading field
- A ST Region CT outputs the appropriate
- Author could otherwise configure this regions by:
- Moving the location of the ST Region by changing Component Templates
- Re-ordering the Region as a Component Presentation
- Possibly change the region's id
The main catch I'm told is we probably need to republish any changes to such configurable regions to make this work in Experience Manager and Session Preview. Alternatively, I could drive ST Regions with Page and/or Template Metadata (similar to configurable XPM regions).
Am I missing any functional or technical "gotchas" with this approach? I've seen a few configurable XPM region setups and want to see if we can easily apply the same with ST regions.