We've been issued a set of license files by support, including one for the Content Porter. It's not obvious where, if at all we should place this file.

Do we still need this for 2013 SP1, or is it only there in the license files in case you're using an older system?

1 Answer 1


As you say, SDL Tridion 2013 SP1 now comes with the Import/Export Webservice as part of the Core Content Manager (CM) installer.

Running the Content Porter 2013 SP1 installer against an Tridion 2013 SP1 Content Manager just makes the Content Porter client icon available within the Tools menu, and does not install any additional functionality.

enter image description here

The Import/Export service in Tridion 2013 SP1 is licensed as part of the core Content Manager product.

You will only need your cp_license.xml file if you're installing Content Porter 2013 SP1 against an earlier version of Tridion. Supported Tridion Content Manager versions include:

  • Tridion 2011 SP1 Hotfix Release 1
  • Tridion 2011 SP1 Hotfix Release 2
  • Tridion 2013 (GA)
  • Tridion 2013 SP1 (See above!)

Note: If you only use your (non-Tridion 2013SP1) instance of Content Porter Server to import content items, then you do not require a Content Porter license at all either!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.